CS-LEAP Scholarship Program
Computer Science Department
The Computer Science Leadership and Practice (CS-LEAP) scholarship program
provides substantial financial support
to students who transfer
into the CS Bachelor's degree program at
The CS-LEAP program is designed primarily for students
who transfer from a community college
with an Associate of Science degree in CS.
SUNY Potsdam has articulation agreements
with most SUNY CCs that have AS degree programs in CS.
Students who transfer from these CCs into the SUNY Potsdam CS degree program
can finish their degree requirements in two years of additional study.
The amount of CS-LEAP scholarship support available
to a particular student will be limited to
the total cost of attendance minus the student's estimated family contribution
as determined by the student's FAFSA.
The average award is expected to be $8,500/year, with a maximum of $10,000/year.
Scholarships will normally cover two years of study at SUNY Potsdam.
Students seeking CS-LEAP scholarship support
- must be citizens or nationals of the United States as defined in Section
101(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, aliens admitted as refugees
under Section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, or aliens lawfully
admitted to the United States for permanent residence;
- must be able to demonstrate financial need (see above);
- will normally have completed an Associate of Science degree
in CS from a SUNY or CUNY community college
or be a transfer student who has attained Junior standing (57 or more
semester credits) with substantial lower-level coursework in computer science
and mathematics typical of a student in an AS degree program in CS; and
- will normally have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in computer science
coursework and a minimum of 2.5 GPA overall in transfer credits.
We can consider scholarship support
for transfer applicants who do not meet one or both
of the last two eligibility requirements but who can demonstrate,
through their letters of application and support,
substantial promise for completing a four-year degree in CS at SUNY Potsdam.
How to apply
- Download the
CS-LEAP application FAQ
to guide your application process.
- Visit our CS program website
to familiarize yourself with SUNY Potsdam's academic program in Computer Science.
- Discuss your plans with your community college major and transfer advisors.
- If you do not have up-to-date FAFSA documentation, start your application now
by following the SUNY Potsdam
Financial Aid Checklist.
If you have FAFSA documentation on file at your community college,
update your FAFSA application with current information
and add SUNY Potsdam's school code (002850)
so we have access to this information.
Contact the financial aid office at SUNY Potsdam
or your community college if you need help.
Your FAFSA documentation must be available for our review prior
to your receiving a scholarship award.
- Apply for admission to SUNY Potsdam.
- Prepare a letter of application.
This letter should provide us with
- a summary of your academic background,
- a description of your motivation to seek a Bachelor's degree in CS at SUNY Potsdam, and
- your career goals following graduation.
- Line up two letters of support. These letters should clearly address
One of these letters will normally be from your major advisor.
- your academic performance and promise as a candidate for a Bachelor's Degree in CS, and
- your personal characteristics including motivation, time
management ability, and communication skills.
If you are chosen to receive a scholarship award,
you must sign a Scholarship Agreement
that certifies your eligibility to receive the award
and that outlines your responsibilities as a CS-LEAP scholar.
You must sign this agreement at the beginning of each academic year
in which you receive support.
Maintaining eligibility during the scholarship award period
In order to receive continuing scholarship support,
you must demonstrate continuing financial need.
In addition, you must maintain continuing eligibility requirements:
If you fail to maintain one or more of these eligibility requirements
at the end of any given semester,
you will be placed on scholarship probation for the following semester.
We may, at our discretion,
suspend your scholarship stipend in a semester in which you are on probation,
particularly if your performance falls well below expectations;
we may lift this suspension if you show significant
improvement during the semester as evidenced, for example,
by acceptable mid-semester class performance.
If you fail to meet one or more of the eligibility requirements
at the end of the semester in which you are on probation,
you will lose your CS-LEAP scholarship support.
Except in unusual circumstances, you will receive a maximum
of two years of support from the CS-LEAP program.
- take a full-time course load (12 hours or more) each semester;
- maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA for all undergraduate coursework at SUNY Potsdam;
- maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA for all in courses required for the CS major;
- make positive progress toward meeting CS major and College degree requirements; and
- regularly attend scheduled CS-LEAP seminars and special events.